Monday, August 30, 2010

Random Appropriation of the Day! ("Money House Blessing" Air Freshener?)


One of the things I love most about having this blog is getting Random Appropriations from my friends as they go about their lives all over the world. Last week I got a text message from my friend Shane in Taipei showing an "aboriginal" cartoon at the airport, my friend Steven sent me some great ones as he drove cross country this summer, and then this weekend my friend Genia tags me on Facebook...as this. I burst out laughing in the middle of the library. I love it.

Let's discuss.


Things I am partial to: "100% Genuine!" and "Contains Genuine 'Indian Strawberry'"(?) and the nice aesthetics of the Mr. Stereotypical Plains (we're getting pretty well acquainted on this blog, aren't we?) with the cornucopia of strawberries. Award-winning graphic design, right there.

But the best part is the "Money House Blessing." While, as Genia pointed out, we all can probably use some Money House Blessings...I'm not sure even the included "Genuine Indian Strawberry" is gonna get it for you. Sorry.

I'm guessing the company is playing off of the tradition of smudging (burning of certain sacred herbs, roots, or grasses) that many tribes use as a form of blessing or purification, but trying to commodify that in a pink can? Ridiculous.  

Also amazing, I googled to see if I could find any more information about the company, and found this:
Shoprite.com has a glorious typo--"Monkey House Blessing." Pretty fitting, actually. Cause there's about the same probability spraying this stuff will bring monkey blessings to your house as there is that it'll bring money blessings. That's all I've got to say.

(Thanks Genia!)