Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Hipsters Like to Put Things on Their Heads": Links, Links, Links...and More!

  • Hipster Wife Hunting did a piece on appropriation of Native culture in fashion. I thought it was satire at first. I was wrong. Though, all my curiosities about the hipster headdress have been cleared up in this sentence: "Hipsters like to put things on their heads". But of course! And here I was giving them credit for trying to make a societal statement or something! 
  • Sociological Images looks at a vintage tobacco ad showing an ethereal (and benevolent) white woman bringing the gift of tobacco to the wild Natives. 
  • Charles Trimble proposes a tax on "Wanabee" Indians. "This past week I had the opportunity to attend a social event, and to observe white culture in action. There were 80 people at this event and five of them represented to me that they had a great-great-grandfather who married a Cherokee" (story of my life).
Just some cool stuff to keep you posted on what's been happening around the 'ol internets in the last few weeks. Thanks to everyone who sent me these--sorry I was bad about keeping track this time. But I am very much in appreciation for your tips!