Thursday, August 5, 2010

Random Appropriation of the Day! (Crate & Barrel "Hogan" Rug)


Another Random Appropriation courtesy of my parent's house in San Diego. My mom got some beautiful new rugs for our bathroom from the Crate & Barrel outlet, and I don't know if you can read it, but this style of rug is called a "Hogan" rug.

Still missing the Native connection? This is a Hogan:


 (image source)

Hogans are the traditional home of the Navajo--which are definitely still widely in use today for ceremonial purposes, driving through the Navajo Nation you often see a hogan next to the more "modern" homes.

Just I thought it was a random name for a rug, and immediately thought of the Navajo/weaving/rugs connection. But I'll admit, it could be an appropriation of another Hogan:

 (image source)
I mean, that bandanna looks kinda like the rug... :)

But here's the screen grab of the Crate & Barrel rug:


I'm beginning to be more and more intrigued by the use of Native names/imagery in product naming, even when the product has nothing to do with Natives.