Monday, July 12, 2010

The Best Native Films (by or about Indigenous Peoples)


After my Dances with Wolves post, I held an informal poll over on the Native Appropriations Facebook page (are you a fan? you should be!) of the best Native films. I think the resulting list is a nice mix of documentary, comedy, and drama, and brings in some international perspectives as well. Let me know what you think. Here, in no particular order, are the films recommended by Facebook readers, with links, director, and year!

    I realize that some of these are made for TV movies, some are film festival picks, and some are just plain hard to track down. But try checking libraries, film institutes, etc. If anyone has resources, ways to get a hold of any of these films, or has any to add to the list, please put links in the comments.

    DISCLAIMER: I haven't seen all of these films, so I can't vouch for the whole list, but I trust my readers!