Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Have a Happy Indigenous Holiday Season: Part 1


It's a good season to be Indigenous! I hope everyone had a safe and happy Turkey Day (or You're Welcome Day, or Thanks-taking day, or Day of Mourning, however you chose to celebrate/not celebrate). I've had an incredibly busy month, which I'm sure you noticed, given the lack of anything up here. But back to the blog!


I often extol the merits of "buying Native" or purchasing from a Native artisan whenever possible, and as the holidays approach, it's a wonderful time to put that ideology into practice. Jessica Metcalfe at Beyond Buckskin has been putting together a fabulous series of posts on the Native artists on Etsy, and I wanted to share some of her resources on here as well. She's going to be continually posting for the rest of the month, so be sure and check back in! (lots more after the jump)

Jessica's Posts:

Post 1: Holiday Shopping Guide: Support Native Artists and Small Businesses on Etsy

Beautiful beaded cuff from Sparkle and Bead's Etsy shop


Post 2: Spotlight on Etsy Seller Ndnchick

 Gorgeous beaded necklace--only $50!

Post 3: Etsy Treasury Lists (Jessica put together some beautiful themed lists!)

"Native American Red Red Christmas" (my personal favorite)

And, for those of you in the New England area, there is also an awesome Native Arts Show going on this Saturday (Dec. 3rd):

Then there is the always great Demockratee's site (by Ryan Redcorn, of the 1491's and Buffalo Nickel Creative):
And Native Threads, a great family-run Indian clothing and apparel company, located in my hometown of San Diego:



Finally, Cheef Clothing, the maker of my favorite sweatshirt (It says "I was here first"): The website is down, but hopefully will be back up soon!


If you have other websites, Art shows, resources, or companies that will help us all Buy Native this holiday season, please leave them in the comments! Stay tuned for Part 2, where I'll share some amazing Native organizations/causes that would love your holiday support. 

PS- a FB commenter from NZ pointed out that many Etsy sellers don't ship internationally, so any global resources would be very much appreciated too. 

PPS- I made that "Buy Native" logo in Microsoft Word! I'm such a techie! ha.

Beyond Buckskin:

Harvard Native Program:

(Thanks Dr. Metcalfe!)