Monday, March 29, 2010

Random Appropriation of the Day!


Via my friend Allison's friend Kip--taken in Versailles, France. If you can't tell, the orange peel is wearing a headdress, and the flavor is called "Indien" (you can click to make it bigger). It's flavored with grenadine, which gives it the pinkish-red color. I was sitting here, trying to figure out the connection between grenadine and Indians--like were pomegranates indigenous to the New World or something? But grenadine is a French word!

Then my friend was like "duh Adrienne, they called it Indian because it's RED."

Sometimes, I guess I forget that not everything requires deep analysis and interpretation. Sometimes, it's just straight up racist. Insensitivity ftw!

Also, if anyone out there speaks French and I'm missing something, please let me know.

(Thanks Allison!)